Saturday, February 18, 2017

Ravenna's Top Five Favorite Songs Of All Time

After posting on Facebook the other morning about playing air guitar, air drums, and singing along with Hotel California on the way to work, I finally had an idea for this week's SATURDAYS IN INDY post.

This was a tough one!! I literally went through my entire iTunes library, which of course sparked some purchases of songs I love but for some off reason never added to the collection.

So here they are, in no particular order. My TOP FIVE FAVORITE SONGS OF ALL TIME...

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin



From the band's Physical Graffiti album, released as in 1975. I was in high school. If you didn't listen to teeny bob/bubble gum music, but instead listened to bands like Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and Blue Oyster Cult, you were one of the mysterious cool kids.

What I adore about this song is pretty much all of it. The lyrics are intriguing. Musically, the song has Middle Eastern influences, plus some seriously genius mixing of meters. The overall time signature combines duple and triple meter. But the drums and vocal melody are in bars of 4/4 and 2/4, while the guitar riff is played in cycles of 3/8.

Okay, music geeks. Explain to the rest of them what effect this produces on our ears.

Hotel California - The Eagles



From the band's Hotel California album, released in 1976. The album and song won a couple of Grammy Awards. It's easily one of the most recognizable songs from the opening notes, among those of us old enough to appreciate an era when bands wrote their own music, played their own instruments, and didn't need auto-tune to sing.

Pure genius in both lyrics and kick-ass guitar riffs. I was fortunate enough to see The Eagles in concert in 1977, at the now-defunct Richfield Coliseum. They played this song twice. Once as the opening tune, and again as one of the encores. It was epic.

Someone To Watch Over Me - Ella Fitzgerald



And you thought I was only going to include rock-n-roll on this list, didn't you? I adore these old songs!! This one has been recorded by too many people to list. It's from the musical Oh, Kay!, and of course was written by George and Ira Gershwin in 1926.

Here's Frank Sinatra's recording from 1945...



And the great Barbra Streisand singing the hell out of it in 1965...



Time Passages - Al Stewart



From the album of the same name, released in 1978.

Al Stewart is better known for his prior record, Year Of The Cat, which I also like, but this one holds a special place in my heart. What's the reason? I'll never tell...

To Love Somebody - The Bee Gees



Originally recorded for the band's debut album - Bee Gees 1st in 1967, it has also been recorded by Janis Joplin in 1969, Michael Bolton in 1992, and a host of others.

It's simply a beautiful love song, with those strings I adore so much in the background, and romantic lyrics.

Thanks for letting me share my list! What are YOUR top five favorite songs of all time? Leave a comment and tell me, for a chance to win a copy of my upcoming release RELENTLESS - Tortured Love 3!!!

And don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter!! There's an easy subscription button over there to the right, at the top of sidebar!!

Until next week, enjoy your Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. Uhhh, I think you must really love the song, "Someone to Watch Over Me"! I love Barbara Streisand. She's one of my favorite singers. Her voice is pure magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree! Barbra has a one-of-a-kind voice! :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Your comment will be visible after moderation.