Saturday, October 1, 2016

Welcome to SATURDAYS IN INDY

Welcome to a new feature on my website! Each week, I'll be talking about things going on in my life outside of writing. Saturday has always been my favorite day. The weekend has begun, and I know I don't have to get up for work that day or the day after. I can sleep late, and I know I have one more day to sleep late as well.


The title of the new feature was inspired by one of the songs from the band Chicago - Saturday In The Park. Anyone who knows me also knows I love my 70s music, mainly because it's the music I grew up with. Chicago was one of my favorite bands, and this is one of their favorite songs of mine.

You can check out more about them by clicking HERE


This week, I'd like to talk about the picture to the right. It's my front porch, and you can see the wicker sofa and matching table next to it. The front of the house faces southeast, and in this part of the country, we rarely get any rain or strong wind from that direction.

We live at the end of a cul-de-sac, and I love to sit on this bench in the early mornings and sip my coffee, even if it's only for a few moments.

When I'm home on weekends, especially on Saturdays, my husband and I like to sit out there for an hour or so, talking and watching life in the neighborhood.

I adore those grand old homes with huge wrap-around porches. This is the closest I'm likely to get to one, and though this porch is smaller, it serves the same purpose.

There's something so peaceful and lazy about sitting on a front porch, watching the world go by. I never take my phone or laptop out there with me. That time is just for me, to quiet my mind, or enjoy some conversation with Hubby. It's a chance to unplug, even for a moment, from the things I need to do, the work waiting for me, or even my writing.

Yes, I love to write, but I have a room upstairs for that. My front porch is an escape from everything else. It's a throwback to a simpler time. It's my quiet place.

Until next week ... enjoy your Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment